If you have fled to the United States to seek asylum from persecution in your home country, we can help. At Law Offices of Hussain & Gutierrez, you will find a Van Nuys asylum lawyer with experience and knowledge. We can help you find the protection you need in the United States.

We represent clients in Van Nuys, Encino, Los Angeles and throughout the San Fernando Valley in California.

Call 818-646-6935 to talk with a lawyer from Law Offices of Hussain & Gutierrez in a free initial consultation.

Protected Status

Anyone who comes to this country to avoid persecution is able to petition the country for asylum. However, not everyone who petitions for asylum receives it. To qualify, you must establish that you have suffered persecution or have a reasonably founded fear that you will suffer persecution as a direct result of your:

  • Race
  • Religious affiliation
  • Nationality
  • Membership in a particular social group
  • Political opinion

There are other qualifying factors, as well. At Law Offices of Hussain & Gutierrez, we can help you fill out Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal, which is the official form for requesting asylum.

Obtaining Work In The United States While Waiting For Asylum

You do not always have to wait for the USCIS to make a decision regarding your asylum petition in order to qualify for work in the United States. As long as 150 days have passed since your initial petition, and you have not done anything to delay the process, you could be eligible for employment. An attorney from our firm can help you with the Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

Asylum For Your Family

If you have a spouse or children already with you in the United States, it might be best to apply for their asylum along with your application. If you are here on your own and you have family members who are still back in your home country facing persecution, we can help you with Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition.

  • Any child included on your application must be 21 years old or younger and unmarried
  • You can file anytime within two years of being granted asylum
  • There is no fee to apply for asylum

The Citizenship And Naturalization Process

For many refugees, asylum is just the first step in the naturalization and citizenship process. Once you receive asylum, talk with us about the next steps in the process of becoming a United States citizen.

Contact A Burbank Lawyer Representing Refugees

To schedule a free consultation with an attorney from Law Offices of Hussain & Gutierrez, call our office or contact us online.

Providing Services In English, Sinhala, Tamil, Hindi, Gujarati, Urdu And Spanish